Lafayette High School news. Student-run.

Wrestlers battle for place on mat

The boys wrestling team prepares for season, challenging each other

December 2, 2020

Sophia Scheller

During practice, senior Na’zir Dent takes down junior Max Doehring. Dent took down Doehring in a challenge match for a spot on the varsity lineup. Dent will compete in the 152 pound weight class in the first duel of the season at Timberland on Dec. 1.

Last season, the boys wrestling team placed fifth in the Class Four State Championship. This season, four State qualifiers will return and they have even gained a transfer from Illinois who won a State Championship over the river. 

But this season has not been a typical year for these wrestlers. With COVID-19, Head Coach Joe Wier said the responsibility for the wrestlers to continue their season lies in their own hands. 

“[If] they go to parties they’re putting the team on their backs. Basically anywhere they go, the rest of the team goes,” Wier said. “We’ve already had a situation that came up because of someone going to a party. They have to realize that they’re not only ruining their season, but they’re also going to ruin everybody else’s season.” 

2019-2020 Illinois State Champion senior Joel Mylin defeated returning State qualifier junior Drew Doehring in a challenge match on Nov. 23 in the team’s Black and Gold Night for the 132-pound weight class, pushing Doehring to the 138-pound spot for the first dual. Other wrestlers to watch  include junior Tommy Hagan and senior Evan Boren, who earned third place and second place at State last year respectively. 

Their first official match will be on Dec. 2 against Timberland. In their match against Timberland last year, the Lancers won, 47-21, and they hope to do the same this year to set the tone for the season.