2019 Flood Watch

Risk of flooding poses threat to Rockwood

Back to Article
Back to Article

2019 Flood Watch

Floodwaters cover the Eureka High School parking lot, blocking off Highway 109, May 3, 2017.

Jack Weaver

Jack Weaver

Jack Weaver

Rain and snow have been prevalent in the recent seasons. Weather has the potential to turn more severe, including flooding, in the spring season with April showers-or storms.

The Meramec River poses a threat due to backwater effects from the Mississippi River according to The National Weather Service in St. Louis. Rockwood, specifically Eureka, experienced flooding of the Meramec River two years ago.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the upper Mississippi river has received rain and snow this spring around 200% above average. Both the Mississippi and Missouri rivers are in areas of greatest risk for moderate to major flooding. The Meramec River poses a threat due to backwater effects from the Mississippi River according to The National Weather Service in St. Louis.

Weather.gov/flood

“Rainfall heavier than forecast could cause river levels to rise even higher than predicted,” The National Weather Service in St. Louis said.

Currently, the NOAA has issued a flood warning for the Meramec River which back in 2017 was the source of flooding that effected Eureka high school and Rockwood school district.

“Anytime we have inclement weather it can impact school events. Each school must get in contact and look at schedules to try and find a date, time and location that works for both schools [for a make-up game].” Activities Director Jon Sumner said.

Spring sports are often impacted by rainy spring weather. Game cancellations, make-up games or game delays are expected from time to time in most sports.

“We have had many instances spring already where weather has shifted the time and locations of practices. We try to share and rotate spaces as fairly as possible, taking each teams size and needs into consideration,” Sumner said.

Another common issue with the rainy season is slippery roads. School parking lots can be dangerous for students regardless of rain or not-accidents can become more likely when potential flooding is added to the mix.

“Drive slower. Focus on the road and your surroundings. Keep your phone out of sight. No texting. No other distractions,” Principal Karen Calcaterra said.

The northern half of Missouri, according to the NOAA Spring Outlook radar map created on March 21, 2019, is at risk for moderate flooding. The northwestern tip is at risk of major flooding and the southern half of Missouri is at risk of minor flooding.

With the whole state at risk for potential flooding, safety is more important than ever. Local weather reports will provide further insight into the day-by-day risk of flooding and the school will keep students updated for activity and school event cancellations.

About the Writer
Shelby Darnell, Staff Writer

Shelby Darnell is a sophomore, and this is her second year on staff. When she is not in school, Shelby normally reads, writes or draws in her free time. In the future, she would like to be an author. She can be contacted at sdarnell025@rsdmo.org.