Girls track off to a fast start

Lining+up+on+the+starting+blocks%2C+sophomore+Taleeya+Stewart+prepares+to+run+a+100-meter+dash.+
Lining up on the starting blocks, sophomore Taleeya Stewart prepares to run a 100-meter dash.

Jack Weaver

Jack Weaver

The girls track team had 10 individuals qualify for the State Championship meet last season after the team placed first at the District meet and second at the Sectional meet.

Senior Marissa Gianino qualified for the Triple Jump and the 4×100-meter relay at the State Championship meet last season. Gianino placed 12th in the triple jump and 15th in the relay at the meet in Jefferson City, MO.

Gianino’s experience at State last season is serving as her motivation this year to give everything she has to return to the large meet.

“My individual goal for this season is to work hard and compete everyday in order to place at State,” Gianino said. “My team goal is to support my team and encourage everyone to compete at their highest level.”

Gianino also has high expectations for her team both on and off the track.

“Last year I enjoyed the camaraderie of the team, and this year I hope to have the same experience. I also hope that the team continues to be committed and put in the effort to succeed together,” she said.

The girls are already off to a fast start this season despite many cancelled practice and meets due to recent rainy weather.

On April 7, the Lady Lancers placed first out of thirteen teams in the Northwest High School Invitational Meet by scoring 118.0 points. Francis Howell High School placed second with only 78.0 points.

Gianino is also off to a fast start and making well on her goal to return to the State Championship meet. She contributed 21 points in the Lady Lancer win by placing first in the Triple Jump, third in the 200-meter dash and fourth in the 100-meter dash.

The girls track team’s next meet is the Henle Holmes Invitational on April 12 at Parkway Central.

About the Contributors
Kayla Carpenter, Sports Editor

Kayla Carpenter is a junior, and this is her second year on staff. She is on the girls varsity basketball team, runs cross country and is a member of Key Club. She enjoys to read and spend time with friends and family. After high school, she plans to study pre-med and go to medical school. She can be contacted at kcarpenter111@rsdmo.org.

Jack Weaver, Digital Media Editor

Jack Weaver is a junior, and this is his third year on both the Image staff and the Digital Media staff. He enjoys making videos and taking photos as he has a slight obsession with cameras. In his free time, he likes to listen to country music and laugh with friends. Jack can be contacted at jweaver096@rsdmo.org.