Wrestling hopes for another successful season

Attempting to pin his opponent, junior Jaylen Carson tries to win his match against Timberland on Wednesday, November 29. Last year, Carson finished third in his weight class at State.

Jack Weaver

Jack Weaver

Last year, the wrestling team was three places shy of winning the program’s second State title in their history. This season, they are working to improve and win their first State title since 1992.

Head Coach Jonathon Sumner knows his team has put in plenty of hard work over the summer and fall, and he hopes for all their work to pay off in their matches.

“The group of kids we have on our team have worked hard this off-season and put a lot of time into pursuing their goals,” Sumner said. “We look forward to them competing to achieve those goals this season.”

Although the team graduated Austin Stofer who was the District champion in his weight class and placed second at State, they have six returning State qualifiers, five of whom are State medalists.

With the amount of experience Sumner has on his team, he expects great things from both individual wrestlers and the whole team.  

“We return quite a bit [of wrestlers] from our fourth place State team last year, so we have high expectations for this team this year. The ultimate goal is to finish top three in State as a team and compete each day to become better,” Sumner said.

The team’s next match is on Dec. 1 in the Patriot Classic Tournament at Parkway South.

About the Contributors
Kayla Carpenter, Sports Editor

Kayla Carpenter is a junior, and this is her second year on staff. She is on the girls varsity basketball team, runs cross country and is a member of Key Club. She enjoys to read and spend time with friends and family. After high school, she plans to study pre-med and go to medical school. She can be contacted at kcarpenter111@rsdmo.org.

Jack Weaver, Digital Media Editor

Jack Weaver is a junior, and this is his third year on both the Image staff and the Digital Media staff. He enjoys making videos and taking photos as he has a slight obsession with cameras. In his free time, he likes to listen to country music and laugh with friends. Jack can be contacted at jweaver096@rsdmo.org.

1 Comment

One Response to “Wrestling hopes for another successful season”

1. Doug Files on January 9th, 2018 6:00 pm

The wrestling article is concise and well-written. Kudos to Kayla for a great article.

• Wrestling hopes for another successful season

Fall Sports

Weekly Sports Update: Oct. 7- Oct. 14

Fall Sports

Weekly sports update: Sept. 30-Oct. 7

Fall Sports

Weekly sports update: Sept. 23- Sept. 30

Fall Sports

Weekly sports update: Sept. 16- Sept. 23

Fall Sports

Weekly sports update: Sept. 9-Sept. 16

Fall Sports

Girls volleyball gains momentum

Fall Sports

Friday Night Lights

Fall Sports

Weekly sports update: Sept. 2-Sept. 9

Fall Sports

Fall sports kick off their seasons at home

Fall Sports

Beaton, Borgmeyer have breakout game to help Lancers defeat rival

Lafayette High School's online newspaper and #1 source of news