MENU

Lady Lancer basketball tops Eureka; secure first place in Suburban West Conference

Maddy Devereux (22), crosses over an Oakville defender. She scored three points in the game, but would bounce back in the next game against Mehlville, scoring 11 points.

Tyler Burnett, Sports Editor

It’s been 1,812 days since the Lafayette girls basketball program last defeated Eureka. But now, the count is headed in favor of Lafayette.

On Feb. 7, the Lady Lancers traveled to Eureka High School to battle their Highway 109 rivals. After losing to their other arch-rival Marquette, five days earlier, the team needed a win to keep their season afloat. The game was tight throughout, but the Lady Lancers pulled ahead in the end and ended a four game losing streak, a span of almost five years, against the Wildcats and beat them 57-54.

“The win last night was a great confidence booster,” Assistant Coach Ashley Lewis said. “Our girls were pumped up from the get go. Now we just have to use that win to keep the snowball going down the hill right into Districts.”

The team was led by Maddy Devereux who scored 15 points and collected two rebounds and an assist. Syndie Wolf contributed 12 points and Tara Robbe pitched in 10 points. After the win over the Wildcats, Lafayette is sitting at 12-7 overall and 4-2 in Conference play.

Their next game is against Fox at home starting at 7 p.m. After the game against Fox, the team will have three more home games against Seckman, Hazelwood West and Lindbergh before the post season rolls around.