MENU

Robbe double-doubles as Lafayette picks up tenth victory

Tara Robbe (4) looks for an open teammate in a game against Mehlville. She scored 13 points and racked up five rebounds in a 65-36 victory.

Nick Horstmann

Nick Horstmann

Tyler Burnett, Sports Editor

It took 23 games for the 2015-2016 girls basketball team to reach 10 wins, but this year’s team has reached that milestone in just 16 games.

Their tenth victory came against the Pattonville Pirates (11-6) on Jan. 27 as the team won the game 55-37 and played a phenomenal game of basketball. The Lady Lancer’s (10-6) passing was on point as they moved the ball up and down the court with ease and dished out a season high 11 assists. They also grabbed a total of 40 rebounds, blocked six shots and stole the ball 11 times.

Every player on the team had a great night, but nobody had as good a night as Tara Robbe. She stuffed the stat sheet as the 6 foot, 1 inch forward double-doubled for the second time this year. The first time around was against University City as Robbe scored 12 points, collected 10 rebounds and led the Lady Lancers to a 59-54 victory. This time, Robbe went off as she drilled two three-pointers and scored a total of 21 points and snagged 11 rebounds. Robbe didn’t stop there. She also picked up three steals and two blocks.

Robbe didn’t single-handedly take down Pattonville, she had help and lots of it. Freshman Kayla Carpenter was deadly from outside. She unloaded from behind the arc and hit five three-point shots, subsequently scoring 15 points, and picked up two rebounds and dished out one dime. Carpenter has picked up the pace recently shooting 52 percent, over the last five games, from behind the three-point line and is averaging 9.2 points per game over the five game span.

A couple other standout performances in the game include: Maddy Devereux who scored seven points and rebounded the ball twice, Lydia Harris scored three points, picked up eight rebounds and assisted on four plays, Jordyn Terry scored two points, grabbed eight rebounds and stole the ball twice and Sydnie Wolf scored four points and dished out four assists.

With the win over Pattonville, the Lady Lancers are second in Conference standings with only Eureka standing in their way with a 11-6 record. Lafayette has a battle with their rivals coming up on Feb. 9 and can take the top spot. In the meantime, the team’s upcoming game will come against a solid McCluer North (14-7) team. Tipoff is at 6 p.m. on Jan. 31.