MENU

Girls basketball season begins; collect first win

Jordyn Terry drives by an opponent in a game last year.

Tyler Burnett, Sports Editor

After an 11-15 season last year, the Lady Lancers (1-0) have started out their new campaign on a good note.

The team traveled to Marquette, on Nov. 28,  to take on Fort Zumwalt West (0-2) to kick off their season. The team came away with a convincing victory scoring 59 points and only allowing the Jaguars to scrounge up 45.

Last year’s team had six seniors, while only four of them actually played, and relied on experience from those upperclassmen. But, this year’s team has a different look. The Lady Lancers have three seniors on the team which consist of Julia Holdmeyer, Kat Kamrud and Becca Reynolds. But, unlike last year, the group is counting on many juniors and sophomores to carry the team and the game against Fort Zumwalt West showed the impact the underclassmen are already having.

Junior Maddy Devereux had 17 points and shot 50 percent from the field while downing two three-pointers along the way, sophomore Tara Robbe tallied 12 points and also shot 50 percent from the field and snagged nine rebounds, a team high that night, and junior Jordyn Terry bagged 10 points and collected seven rebounds while shooting a solid 67 percent from the field.

“Game one was really cool because our scoring was spread around between seven girls,” Assistant Coach Ashley Lewis said. “That’s exactly what we have to have every game if we are going to be in it to win it. They’ve bought in to what we are trying to do and they’ve really surrendered the me for the we. That’s exactly what we have to have in order to have a great season. I have no doubts that this team can do some great things as long as they play for the team on the front of the jersey, not the back.”

The seniors on the team combined for seven points, 8 rebounds and four assists on the night.

“The seniors have already had an awesome impact,” Lewis said. “They’re good people and they really enjoy being around the girls and they want to have a great season and they’ll do anything possible to make that happen.”

The team leadership will look much different from last year’s squad due to the handful of seniors that graduated last year, but Lewis expressed no worries.

“What’s great about this group is that I feel like any of them can step up at any time to be a leader. It doesn’t necessarily have to be one person, we do have some vocal leaders, but we also have some leaders that just lead by example. Practice, day in and day out, just doing the little things that they need to be doing and they’re all ready to take chances when someones hurt or someones sick, they’re ready to jump in and they’ll do whatever it takes to help the team win.” Lewis said.

You can see the Lady Lancers in action next when they take on Webster Groves (1-0) in the next round of the Marquette High School Tournament. The game will take place at Marquette on Nov. 30 starting around 7 p.m.