Weekly sports update: Dec. 30-Jan. 6

During+the+Dec.+13+boys+basketball+game+against+Parkway+West%2C+junior+Dylan+Stovall+initiates+a+fast+break+while+being+pressured+by+a+defender.+During+this+week%27s+game+against+Kirkwood+Stovall+got+a+steal+and+scored+at+the+end+of+regulation+to+send+the+game+into+overtime.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Weekly sports update: Dec. 30-Jan. 6

During the Dec. 13 boys basketball game against Parkway West, junior Dylan Stovall initiates a fast break while being pressured by a defender. During this week's game against Kirkwood Stovall got a steal and scored at the end of regulation to send the game into overtime.

Interstate Studios

Interstate Studios

Interstate Studios

Kayla Carpenter, Sports Editor

Boys Basketball: Over the break, the boys basketball team participated in a series of games at Meramec Community College. In the first game against Marquette on Dec. 2, the Lancers fell 51-48, but they bounced back the following day, beating Ritenour 62-24. On Dec. 29, the Lancers gained another win against Troy Buchanan with the final score being 47-40. The last game over break was against Lindbergh, with the Lancers winning 47-39. On Jan. 4, the Lancers lost against Kirkwood 87-85 in overtime. Their next game takes place on Jan. 11 at Lafayette where they will face off against Pattonville.

Boys Wrestling: Over the holiday break, the boys wrestling team competed in the Granite City Invitational on Dec. 28 and Dec. 29. Senior Austin Wegener, who went into the tournament as the No. 4 seed, defeated the reigning Tennessee State Champion Al Wooten in the semi finals, and he took home a first place title after winning 3-2 in the finals. Junior Jalin Reese placed third in his class, and seniors Jaylen Carson and Jayden Carson placed third and fourth, respectively. On Jan. 6 at the Fred Ross Invitational, the Lancers placed third as a team. Wegener and Jayden placed first in their class along with junior Henry Thomas. The team’s next competition will be on Jan. 8 against McCluer North.  

Girls Basketball: The girls basketball team competed in the MICDS Holiday Tournament over the break. They beat Fort Zumwalt North 58-42 on Dec. 22 but fell to Westminster 52-36 on Dec. 28. The Lady Lancers then went on to beat the No. 1 seed Pattonville 52-50 to place third in the tournament. On Jan. 4 the girls faced off against the two time defending State Champions Kirkwood and came out on top 37-36. Halfway though the season, senior Tara Robbe and junior Maddie Chester lead the team with 129 and 121 points, respectively. The team’s next game is on Jan. 9 at home against Hazelwood Central.

Girls Swimming: The girls swim team’s next meet is on Jan. 11 where the Lady Lancers will compete in the Kirkwood Invitational.

Girls Wrestling: The girls wrestling team competed in the Fred Ross Invitation on Jan. 6, and as a team, the Lady Lancers placed second. Senior Treasure Smith and freshman Faith Cole were both individual champions in their class, and senior Emily Liu and sophomore Josette Partney each placed second in their class. The Lady Lancers are currently ranked fourth in the State as a team, and their next competition is on Jan. 8 against McCluer North.

About the Writer
Kayla Carpenter, Sports Editor

Kayla Carpenter is a junior, and this is her second year on staff. She is on the girls varsity basketball team, runs cross country and is a member of Key Club. She enjoys to read and spend time with friends and family. After high school, she plans to study pre-med and go to medical school. She can be...