Sophomore creates Music for Joy club for music lovers

Sophomore+Nick+Berry+sings+Introducing+Me+at+Autumn+View+Gardens+retirement+home.+
Sophomore Nick Berry sings Introducing Me at Autumn View Gardens retirement home.

For so many people, music can be a great way to destress and to reach out to others. This semester, sophomore Sara Parikh started the club Music for Joy, specifically designed for students to do just that.

Music for Joy is a student lead club that uses musical talents to help and reach out to others through their musical abilities.

“The club is a way for students who have a passion for music, or just enjoy it. It’s a way for them to give back to the community through their musical talents with singing or acoustics or any musical talent, really. We go and volunteer in St. Louis and add joy to people’s lives through music,” Parikh said.

The club volunteered at Autumn View Gardens retirement homes this past February. Students brought musical instruments and their voices to perform for the senior citizens. Students took turns perform throughout an hour time blocked out for them by the retirement home.

“Afterwards, we got to hear some amazing stories from the people there and overall it was just an incredibly rewarding experience,” senior and club member Will Gerretsen said.  

Future meetings will be set up through the use of the group chat as well as Google Classroom, they will meet based on the availability of students.

Parikh plans to have the group volunteer at Crisis Nursery, Angle Arms, The Wolf and Children’s Home Society. In addition to these places, she hopes to have the group volunteer at hospitals as well.

The club is welcoming to all people of all skill levels in music. The overall goal is to share the joy with others through student’s passion for music.

“It’s a close-knit group of people doing something rewarding in our community,” Gerretsen said.

Parikh also hopes that the club will both grow in size and involvement in the community.

To join the club, one can get involved through Language Arts teacher Jennifer Ingram or go directly to Parikh.

“For me, music has always been a way to destress or when I’m feeling upset it’s a way for me to feel happy, and I know that, for me, music adds a lot of joy into my life. I know that’s true for a lot of students,” Parikh said. “I wanted this club to be a way for students to add that same joy into other people’s lives. It’s just a different way to volunteer and put a smile on someone’s face.”

About the Writer
Chloe Baker, Reporter
Chloe Baker is a sophomore and this is her first year on staff. She is a part of the LHS water polo team and Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Her hobbies include reading and writing. Chloe can be contacted at cbaker047@rsdmo.org.